As fire prevention awareness efforts gear up across North America, the National Fire Protection Association and insulation company, Roxul Inc., are spreading the word to Americans from coast to coast about the importance of fire preparedness.
Through the "Hear the BEEP where you SLEEP" campaign and Roxul's "When Seconds Count" initiative, Americans are reminded that simple steps can cut their chances of dying in a fire in half.
Here are some measures you can take to dramatically reduce your risk:
· Be sure to have a smoke alarm on every story of your home and outside sleeping areas.
· Develop a fire escape plan and practice it.
· Use non-combustible materials when renovating. The choice of insulation can make a big difference. Opt for a product with the highest fire resistance possible, like Roxul mineral wool insulation, which, in the event of a fire, will not produce harmful gases, toxic smoke or promote the spread of flames.
· Purchase a multi-use fire ladder for each bedroom in your home and practise using it.
· Place fire extinguishers within reach throughout your home.
· In the event of a fire, leave through the closest exit. Do not stop to collect belongings and never reenter a home once safely outside.
Additional fire safety tips are available at nfpa.org.